Monday, July 6, 2009

Mini Cinnamon Rolls

I'm not even sure where this recipe came from originally, but Mom (Diane) and I have been making these for years. I love them because you don't feel bad about eating these tiny little rolls as opposed to a HUGE cinnamon roll-- but that's just me! :)

Here's the recipe!

2 packages of crescent rolls (off brand works fine)
1/2 cup butter/margarine, softened (not melted, Rachel)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

- Mix brown sugar & cinnamon in small bowl.
- Separate each tube of crescent rolls into 4 big rectangles-- press perforations closed. (This will make more sense when you open the can of crescent rolls!)
- Roll with a rolling pin to make bigger.
- Spread each rectangle with butter and then generously sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix.
- Roll up each rectangle starting at the short end.
- Cut each roll into 5 or 6 slices.
- Place cut side down onto a greased baking pan. (Put them fairly close together!)
- Bake 20-25 minutes @ 350.
- Make glaze of powdered sugar and milk.
- Let rolls cool slightly before topping with the glaze.


NOTES FROM A KITCHEN OF REALITY:
I usually end up having to add more sugar and cinnamon towards the end-- what can I say-- more is better! I also for the first time this weekend, made these ahead of time. I stopped short of cutting them, just wrapped them in parchment paper and put them in the fridge. I was actually able to get about 8 slices this way.

The best part about them being pre-made and sitting in my fridge you ask?? My husband cut them this morning, threw them in the toaster oven and made me breakfast!! AWESOME right??

Happy Cooking!

4 comments:

  1. Shannon made these the last 2 mornings, I must say the were awsome.
    I did adapt the glaze by using 1 8oz. tub of sour cream, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1/8 tsp of vanilla.
    (you left the amount of cinnamon out of the recipe at the top)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed the recipe-- it now has a cinnamon amount! Thanks Kevin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I had some difficulty with these little guys. I made them the day before on purpose but I would have had a difficult time cutting them if I wanted to use them then because they were VERY soft. Not the issue. When I baked mine, I left them about 1/2 inch apart on a cookie sheet covered with a silpat. I considered that 'fairly close together.' They pretty much came unrolled. I think I would make them in a rectangle cake pan and place them touching each other to prevent the spreading. I didn't really have individual rolls that you could pick up. They tasted great, but it was a bit messy. I will make them again with the revisions. It also seemed to me that a 1/2 cup of butter was way too much. I think I only used probably a little more than a half a stick. If I did something wrong, please help me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes-- close together (nearly touching) is much better. When they come out of the oven they will have all spread together.

    As far as the butter goes... I typically just spread enough on them to cover and it comes straight out of my butter dish... so I don't exactly measure. Same goes with the cinnamon sugar-- just use what looks good.

    Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete