Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Brat Wraps

I LOVE Brats! I guess it is the German in me. People down south only know about Johnsonville Brats, but the best brats in the world come from Kern's in Frankenmuth, MI where my mom's family all lives. Every time we go to visit I take my cooler and buy a big box to freeze and so I can make it till our next visit. Mark didn't understand at first... but then he ate one. Kern's also sells the best brat buns-- very different from a hot dog bun. But they don't freeze well-- trust me I've tried-- and nothing here in NC is close.

So, I LOVE this recipe because it has a bun alternative. I HATE buying hot dog buns, because if you want them to taste good you really need to buy them the day you need them. Then, you only use 4 at most and end up throwing the rest away-- unless you're like my husband who will eat them as toast, sandwich bread, etc-- but he is weird. :)

This is a slightly altered Kraft Food Magazine recipe - hope you like it as much as we do!

Ingredients:
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 cooked brats (I prefer the grill or using my George Foreman)
- 1 tbsp A-1 sauce
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheddar shredded cheese

Directions:
- In a skillet, cook and stir onions in hot oil until tender.
- Stir A-1 sauce into onions
- Top tortillas with cheese, bratwurst and onions; roll up.

Notes from A Kitchen of Reality:
- Some people (Diane) don't like it with cheese-- some like the addition of peppers.
- The original recipe called for Kraft singles-- but I like real cheese better.
- I have used the small tortillas and a large tortilla cut in half-- less bread is better for me but microwaving the tortillas about 15 seconds makes them easier to roll!
- Brats always taste best with an ice cold beer!

Schmeckt gut!!
(That means "tastes good" in German. I think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment