Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chicken Biscuit Stew

As a couponer, I found myself with two cans of Pillsbury Grands biscuits in the fridge b/c they were crazy cheap with my coupon.  So I got on their site and found this recipe.  Oh so yummy on this cool rainy night.  This will be a regular in my line up during the winter.

1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
Dash pepper
1 (10 1/2) can of chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup fresh baby carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 (12 oz) can of Pillsbury Grandes refrigerator biscuits

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 375.  Melt margarine in 10-inch ovenproof skillet.  Stir in flour and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until smooth and bubbly.
2.  Gradually stir in broth and milk with a whisk.  Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.  Add chicken, peas, carrots, and onion; cook until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
3.  Arrange biscuits over hot chicken mixture in skillet.
4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

Tips from the Kitchen of Reality:
-We don't eat peas.  So I omitted them.  Also, the veggies need to be precooked a little.  I would steam them for a minute or two in my micro-steamer from pampered chef.  Just until they were tender-crisp.
-I didn't have cooked chicken, so I chopped two boneless skinless breasts and cooked them quickly in the pan I made the 'gravy' in.  This really added some more depth of flavor I believe.
-The recipe calls for no seasoning besides the pepper.  I thought this was odd so I added a little garlic salt to my chicken when I cooked it and seasoning was spot on.
-I don't have an oven safe skillet so I made mine in a skillet and then poured it into a pyrex oval baker before topping with the biscuits.  Worked perfectly.
-Put a cookie sheet under your skillet or baker because mine bubbled over a little.

This was an easy recipe to make, used ingredients I always have (besides the biscuits) and it was super delicious.  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment