Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies

I had over a dozen dyed Easter eggs in my refrigerator yesterday and was already tired of having egg salad for lunch, so when THIS POST for chocolate chip cookie dough using hard boiled eggs popped up on my blog roll... I was all in, although I was slightly disgusted.

I also have never used a food processor to make cookie dough, but it was fun too! My husband refuses to eat any kind of raw dough because it always has eggs in it. But he actually ate this, which I though was more disgusting that eating raw eggs!!

After baking and sampling, I must say that this may be my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe EVER. They were so thick and moist... okay, I hate that word, but they were. So here is the recipe if you were too lazy to go to the link above and get it.

Ingredients
2 3/4 cups flour
1 cup butter (2 sticks), cut into small chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced finely
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour and butter in a food processor and process until mixture is the texture of small crumbs.
- Add the salt and baking soda and process until just combined.
- Add sugars, vanilla, and boiled eggs. Pulse again until mixture comes together.
- Add chocolate chips and combine by hand using a wooden spoon or clean hands. Egg whites may still be visible in the dough but will disappear as the cookies bake.
- Make golf ball sized balls of cookie dough and place them on parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten balls of dough slightly with your hand.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove cookies from oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality
- I chopped my eggs with my Pampered Chef chopper until they were very fine. So I couldn't even see the egg pieces once I mixed it in the dough. For some reason that made me feel better about putting hardboiled eggs in my cookies.
- Yes, I know getting rid of two hard boiled eggs is no big deal. But I made the recipe once and baked cookies tonight. Then made the dough two more times, rolled them into balls and froze them. INSTANT COOKIES ready to bake anytime in the batch size you want!! I am now down to 6 eggs... I'll be making potato salad tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment