Friday, April 8, 2011

Baked Penne w/Chicken & Sun Dried Tomatoes

This is a great recipe when you want to stock your freezer with some meals. For our family of 2 adults and 1 toddler, I can get 4 meals out of this one recipe. We eat one the night I prepare it, and the other 3 go in foil pans in the freezer. I have added frozen spinach to it, and it comes out nicely. But it is great w/out too.

6 Tablespoons butter (I have used the whole stick before and it worked fine)
Salt and pepper
I pound penne pasta
Boneless chicken breasts (I use about 2 pounds) cooked and shredded or sliced
4 garlic cloves
6 cups whole milk (I have used 2% just fine)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
10 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (it calls for oil packed, but I have used just dried)
1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese (again, I have used the whole bag of 2 cups and used mixed Italian cheese instead of just provolone)
1 cup grated parmesan

Butter or grease your dishes
Cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente
In large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium.
Add flour and garlic; cook, whisking 1 minute.
While whisking, slowly add milk. Bring to a simmer.
Whisk frequently.
Add mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook 1 minute.
Off heat, gradually stir in provolone and half your parmesan.

Add chicken and pasta to pot.
Season w/salt and pepper.
Divide between baking dishes.
Sprinkle tops with remaining parmesan.
Bake uncovered at 400 till top is brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
To bake from frozen, leave foil on and place (still frozen) on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 about 90 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment