Monday, August 31, 2009

Almond Chicken & Rice

This was taken straight out of the Kraft Magazine. However, I can't ever seem to read the entire ingredient list and I do not believe in measuring either, so my recommendations or "tips" as we call them are included.


Ingredients

4 small boneless chicken breast halves

1/4 cup of Kraft Tuscan House Italian Dressing and Marinade

1 1/4 cup of fat-free reduced chicken broth

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

2 cups broccoli florets

1 cup instant white rice, uncooked

1/4 cup Planters sliced almonds, toasted, divided


Directions
  • Cook chicken in 2 Tbsp dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 4 min on each side until evenly brown
  • Stir in broth, garlic powder and remaining dressing; bring to boil.
  • Cover; simmer 5 min or until chicken is done (165F).
  • Remove chicken; cover and keep warm
  • Add broccoli to skillet; cook, uncovered, 3 min.
  • Stir in rice and 3 Tbsp nuts.
  • Remove from heat; cover.
  • Let stand 7 min.
  • Serve chicken over rice; top with remaining nuts

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality

Okay, I just read the recipe while typing it and that is so NOT what I did...
  • Isaac can't eat nuts yet (he's too little), so I didn't even include the almonds
  • I didn't read the "instant" part of the instant rice, so I used regular rice
  • I had real garlic for a change, so i used about half a clove (remember I don't measure)
  • I also used just regular chicken broth
My directions are as follows:
  • In separate pot, cook just regular old rice until it's almost done but still a little crunchy
  • Cook chicken in 2 Tbsp dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 4 min on each side until evenly brown
  • To the skillet with the chicken, stir in broth, garlic and remaining dressing; bring to boil.
  • Add nearly cooked (still crunchy) rice to the skillet
  • Cover; simmer 5 min or until chicken (165F) and rice is done
  • Add broccoli to skillet; cook, covered, 3 min. (make sure to watch it so the rice doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan as all the liquid cooks in)
  • Remove from heat and serve

1 comment:

  1. WOOHOO!! Took you long enough to post a recipe and I so love reading about your cooking experience, it so reminds me of being in the kitchen with you. I'll try your recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete