Monday, August 17, 2009

Butter Cake

I went looking for a homemade birthday cake recipe for Madeline's upcoming birthday cake this weekend and of course my Martha Stewart cake recipes didn't fail me. If you're looking for a white sheet cake recipe that is WAY better than a box cake mix... here it is!!

Ingredients:
2 sticks softened butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

Directions:
- Mix butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each, then add vanilla.
- In a large bowl mix flour, powder, & salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk until all is incorporated.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 28-35 minutes.
- Let cool and frost with your favorite flavor frosting!

Notes from a Kitchen of Reality:
- I used skim milk on my trial run and it was fine.
- I am using this as Madeline's GIANT sheet cake to decorate for her birthday, so I was going for a 16 X 26 sheet cake. I quadrupled the recipe and it STILL baked up great!
- Can be used for a round layer cake or cupcakes too!

Here's a picture of her finished cake!! Cute right??

No comments:

Post a Comment