Monday, March 21, 2011

Coq au Vin

Julia Child would be most unhappy that her recipe is being made in a CROCK POT!! But it was good and I am sharing. Enjoy!

Ingredients
-6 to 8 frozen chicken thighs
-6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
-8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
-1 cup baby carrots
-1 chopped yellow onion
-3 cloves chopped or minced garlic
-1/2 t black pepper
-1/2 t kosher salt
-1/2 cup chicken broth
-1 1/2 cup cheap red wine (I used $2.97 Merlot from Wal-Mart)
-2 large fresh thyme sprigs


Directions
- Cook bacon and crumble.
- Place thawed or frozen chicken into your crock pot and start layering in the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or your favorite pasta.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality
- I didn't have any fresh thyme so used this as my excuse to go buy my first herb plant of the season! It's growing safely in my sun room for a few more weeks until it hits the herb garden outside.
- I don't believe in chicken with bones, so I of course used boneless chicken breasts. Worked fine.
- Baby portabello mushrooms weren't on sale so I bought plain old button mushrooms.
- Easy and super yummy, although next time I think it could use more thyme and salt. But that is a personal preference, see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment