Sunday, August 1, 2010

French Potato Salad

My friend Shannon made this for us while we were at the beach back in June, and I just tried my hand at making it. I love that it is a non-mayo potato salad recipe and the fresh herbs give it an awesome flavor. (Not to mention if you have an herb garden it makes you feel "super-gardeny" that you are able to use so much of your own ingredients!)

Thanks for the recipe Shannon... every time I make it I will remember the first time having it with you guys on the screen porch by the beach! YUM!!

Ingredients:
1 pound small white boiling potatoes
1 pound small red boiling potatoes
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken stock
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves

Directions:
Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.

Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality:
- I used white wine vinegar instead of Champagne vinegar, that stuff is just too expensive.
- I couldn't find scallions at Harris Teeter, so I used green onions instead... and I didn't use as many because I don't especially care for a super onion flavor.
- I used all red potatoes instead of both kinds, because they come in 2 pound bags anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment