Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sour Cream Pasta Bake

This is a modified recipe I got from one of my best friends, Emily. 

1 package bowtie Wacky Mac Pasta (my kids love the colors, I love it's made from veggies)
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cottage cheese
1 small can tomato sauce (NOT spaghetti sauce)
1 lb ground beef
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Cook the Wacky Mac according to the package directions.
2.  While the pasta cooks, brown off the ground beef and drain the excess fat off.  Pour in the can of tomato sauce and I season it with a little black pepper and garlic salt.
3.  In a 2 or 3 qt baking dish (I use a large deep oval shape, not a 9 X 13) dump in your cottage cheese and sour cream.  I season this also with a little black pepper and garlic salt.  Mix well.
4.  Drain pasta and shake excess water off.  Pour into baking dish and mix with sour cream/cottage cheese mixture. 
5.  Pour beef mixture on top and spread evening.
6.  Top with cheese.  Cover with either foil or a lid (I have a glass lid) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Take the foil/lid off the last 10 minutes to brown the cheese just a bit. 

Tips from the Kitchen of Reality:
-My kids DEVOUR this.  They LOVE the Wacky Mac! 
-The original recipe calls for scallions on the top.  It makes it taste a little more Tex-Mex and I like it that way but the kids don't, so I leave it off.
-This is a great easy recipe that makes a lot and is GREAT reheated as leftovers. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment