Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Hummus

We love hummus… well, the 18 month old and I do. My sister and I gave it a go at making homemade and it turned out pretty yummy! Much cheaper than buying the small containers at the grocery store. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

-2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved (15.5-ounce can)
-1/3 cup tahini or sesame paste
-4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
-6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
-8 dashes Tabasco sauce
-2 teaspoons kosher salt

Directions:

Place the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid, the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, Tabasco, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until coarsely puréed.

The hummus should be moist and thick; add more lemon juice or reserved chickpea liquid to thin, if necessary.

Cover and refrigerate for several hours for the flavors to blend. Taste for seasonings.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality:

- Mine came out a little salty. Not sure if I measured wrong or what. If I were you, I’d add it at the end to taste. I’m thinking it was the cook’s error though!

- Add different ingredients to have different flavors—we added black beans to party of the hummus and had it with our Mexican theme food night with tortilla chips.

* This is a Barefoot Contessa Recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment