Sunday, January 16, 2011

Leslie's Chocolate Cake

I needed a dessert for a neighborhood gathering I was hosting and didn't have time to go get extra ingredients since both my girls were napping. I pulled out this recipe and had eaten it before but never made it. I had everything I needed, so I gave it a try.

I don't know the real name of this recipe, but I got it from Olivia who got it from her sister-in-law Leslie-- humorously both contributors to this blog. They may have things to add after I post it. It's an easy one that everyone sure enjoyed. Thanks for sharing ladies!

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Frosting:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Cake:
Combine all dry ingredients then add the rest EXCEPT boiling water. Beat 2 minutes then add boiling water. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Frosting:
Combine all frosting ingredients in saucepan and boil for 1 1/2 minutes.

Pour frosting over cake immediately as it comes out of the oven then let cake sit awhile before serving.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality:
- I baked mine about 45-50 minutes-- the center wasn't quite set at 40 minute-- I'm sure it depends on your oven.
- I poked some holes in the top of the cake to help absorb the frosting.

1 comment:

  1. I call it Leslie's chocolate cake too! This is sooo good and quite simple!

    ReplyDelete