Friday, September 24, 2010

Mini Pumpkin Muffins

The above picture is of Madeline's new favorite sample at Sam's Club, Mini Pumpkin Muffins. It's a good thing she's cute because otherwise I'm sure the sample lady wouldn't have given just anyone 4 whole muffins over the course of our last trip. As I picked up the box to see how many were in it for the crazy price of $5.88, Madeline promptly told me to put it back because the muffins were out over there, pointing to Brenda our favorite Sam's sample lady. Too funny!

Needless to say, I did NOT buy 36 mini muffins for $5.88. On our tight budget it wasn't a splurge I was going for. BUT, I knew I could make a cheap version of my own at home, and sure enough, here it is!


Ingredients
1 box Jiffy Oatmeal Muffin Mix
1/2 cup pumpkin
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 tsps pumpkin pie spice

Directions
- Mix all ingredients together and spoon into greased mini muffin pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of each muffin if desired.
- Bake @ 350 for 12-14 minutes.

Tips from a Kitchen of Reality:
- I got the oatmeal muffin mix at Wal-Mart for 56 cents a box.
- I used pumpkin pie spice because I had it, otherwise I would have just used cinnamon.
- For my sprinkle topping, I used demerara sugar (the chunky sugar) it makes for a fun crunchy topping, but use whatever you've got.
- This recipe made 20 mini muffins for less than $2.00!! Take that Sam's Club!!
- This is a great recipe for getting picky kids like Madeline to eat some veggies like pumpkin, sweet potato, or carrot. I might be making some more varieties soon!

PS... Madeline LOVES them!!

1 comment: